Monday 30 July 2012

Ralph And The Hedgehog Who Lives In My Garden: A Burgeoning Interspecies Romance

You can see how pleased my cat Ralph here is to be friends with the hedgehog who lives in my garden: his look tells you in no certain terms that he's very aware that, out of all the cats in the neighbourhood, the hedgehog who lives in my garden has picked him.


What I like most about my cat Ralph's relationship with the hedgehog who lives in my garden is how comfortable they seem to be to just be themselves around one another.

I think it's clear from the hedgehog who lives in my garden's body language here that he really likes my cat Ralph on an all-round level. It's not just one of those flash in a pan hedgehog-cat romances that burn bright for a week or two then peter out.

Sometimes my cat Ralph and the hedgehog who lives my garden will challenge one another to a race. Ralph is a generous cat, so he always gives the hedgehog who lives in my garden a head start.

I like the honesty of this shot: It's like my cat Ralph is saying to the hedgehog who lives in my garden "You have fleas, I have fleas, so why should we lie about that fact, or be bashful about scratching ourselves in front of one another?" and the hedgehog is saying "Amen to that, brother."

16 comments:

Cara Cooper said...

Hey Ralph all relationships have their potential problems. Just wondered if you've checked out whether that hedgie really is a boy. Could be a girl. Could be the start of something wonderful and meaningful...

Anonymous said...

so funny! more posts chronicalling their interspevcies snorgling please!

Misrule said...

Ralph is such an excellent name for a cat. Also: hedgehogs are adorable.

Misrule said...

Ralph is an excellent name for a cat. Also—hedgehogs are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ralph is a very handsome cat. If I were a hedgehog or similar small mammal I believe I would flirt with him too.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

What a gentleman cat Ralph is! And the hedgehog is certainly a nice addition to the garden!

Liz said...

they're such a good looking couple

Barbara W. said...

"It's not just one of those flash in a pan hedgehog-cat romances that burn bright for a week or two then peter out", that made me chuckle. I hope this is a relationship which continues to blossom.

Postcards said...

What a gorgeous cat. No wonder hedgie chose him.

Genine said...

Tom your posts never fail to brighten my day. Thank you.

stephanie rollinson said...

Very Funny pictures! love Raplh

Mumus Mum said...

I *think* but am not sure, that the hedgehog who lives in your garden has put some kind of spell over Ralph.
I don't think it's all flea related. It must be something deeper?

Cikgu DrDJ said...

hi..sucah a handsome cat that u have there..Hello Ralph.. :)

Greetings from malaysia
MamaBetty
http://mamabettys.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Slightly worried that hedgie is out during the day. This is often a sign that there is something very wrong medically and he should be checked out.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was just about to say the same thing. He's either ill or very very hungry. Cat food and water NOT bread and milk.

Anonymous said...

Yes great photos and your cat appears to be a gentleman with the hedgehog, but hedgehogs have loads of friends already they are called fleas.

I know all to well about them, as have quite a few in the house at the moment, have an electronic flea comb for the cats, and a lamp and sticky trap on the floor downstairs, but can't fumigate to kill the last of them off as have tropical fish. Use a spot-on type liquid on the cts shoulder blades intersection,but have to insure that they don't go and sit on the fish tank.