Monday 10 August 2009

The Random Cat Project


In Under The Paw, I wrote about my habit of befriending random cats on the street. I still do this - pretty much any time I can, actually - and will happily make myself late for any appointment, however crucial, for five minutes of chat with, say, a ginger Tom who happens to be wandering about at the side of the road, but I think I was particularly zealous about my pursuit of random cats during the one period in my life when I was catless, at the end of the 90s, in London. In fact, I'm not quite sure "befriending" was the right term. "Marrying" might have been nearer the mark. The founders of www.randomcatproject.com are both based in London, amidst "conditions that do not support pet ownership", so, in tribute to the "bittersweet experience" of a fleeting cat encounter, they've set up this wonderful website, which asks people to film or photograph their encounters with random cats, and summarise their personalities. I particularly like that they also ask for a "Possible cat name". Why not take a picture of a moggy next time you go on your travels and send it over to them?

7 comments:

rosylancs said...

Lol,I do the same thing!!!!!!!!!

The Curious Cat said...

Oh my! I'm not alone with my need to talk to random cats too! I'm not a complete cat-loving weirdo!!! :) xxx

jmuhj said...

I've done this all my life. My folks did, too. It probably goes back generations. Possibly millenia. We come from cat-loving peoples. Anyway, I sent them a cat. There is very probably no fate worse than being catless.

Anonymous said...

I am always doing this! My friends call me the 'cat botherer' because I have to stop and talk to cats along the way... a good walk is one where you encounter several cats and they stop to speak to you too! I have the 'regulars' - cats who hang out and look for people to talk to, and the occasional ones that take you by surprise. It is an important hobby and I have taken a few such photos...

Anonymous said...

Few days ago, was lost in Kentish Town waiting on a friend to text me directions when a big tabby tom - with absolutely NO encouragement - jogged across the road, jumped on the wall beside me, and demanded I chuck him under the ears and chin and tell him he was handsome. Interesting/worrying even cats see me as mad cat lady. Only one explanation for it: CATDAR.

Innocent Owner Of Mad Cats said...

Here I thought I was the only one. LOL

Innocent Owner Of Mad Cats said...

LOL Here I thought I was the only one