Thursday 27 October 2011

For Black Cat Awareness Day: Some Pictures Of The Bear


The Bear, the most intellectual character featured in my books Under The Paw and Talk To The Tail, was originally the favourite cat of my ex's ex. Our relationship had its teething troubles, but we're still here, together. He is sixteen and a half now. I am sure that, in that time, he has used up far more than nine lives. He's moved house on umpteen occasions, lost a couple of bits of his ear, gone missing for over a month, got inexplicably stranded on the opposite side of a wide river, been punched into a wall by a tiny grey kitten, and, despite his gentlemanly advances, still can't seem to get his Last Of The Summer Wine romance off the ground with the aging ginger lady cat who lives nextdoor, Biscuit. He is a little wobbly around the haunches, but is in the largely terrific health, and by all appearances - despite being picked and sworn at by his gobby housemate Shipley every so often - happier than he's ever been.

I've known and lived with a lot of black cats over the years, but I don't think I've ever met one who summed up their magic and mystery as much as The Bear. Today is Black Cats Awareness Day - a celebration, instigated by Cats Protection, of black cats, who are all too often overlooked by prospective owners visiting rescue centres - so to mark it I thought I'd post a few of my favourite photos of my most spiritually noir of black cats....











16 comments:

Laura Florence said...

Adorable cat...just like my black puss Nibbler with a little white smudge! He loves sitting in cardboard boxes too

bloosky said...

Cant believe he's nearly 17. Such a gorgeous boy (and I completely love his name).

Anonymous said...

My black cat Leah came from Cats Protection - she is the most laid back gentle cat I have ever had!

Unknown said...

Beautiful boy. He knows how to work a camera too (like all black cats I've ever met!)

Kitty - The Librarian Fox said...

The Bear is gorgeous and very goodlooking for his age!

Anonymous said...

I love it, Tom. Thank you.

Bubz - returning to my favourite position, lying inn front of my Mummy's computer

Anonymous said...

It's actually the second time in a week when I encountered the info about black cats and the fact that they are not often picked up in shelters. It surprises me so much! I mean, I thought those days when people had any superstitions against black cats were long gone and belonged to Middle Ages.

Well, anyway, for me every day is the black cat awareness day.

The cat in the picture looks very strong and happy. It's really hard to believe he's nearly 17 as another commentator noticed.

I think all cats are great and all cats are magic!

Anonymous said...

Marley the black cat sends his love. He has a very similar look of wisdom and love of cardboard boxes... xx

Anonymous said...

A fine looking old geezer. But possibly a little snooty?

Minnie said...

I've got 11 cats and they are all ace and live the life of Riley. Have to keep them indoors because of dodgy neighbourhood. 4 are black, 1 elderly and cranky tuxedo old lady, 1 black and white shorthair old lady, 2 black and whitelitter mates...known as the Chuckle Brothers, 1 calico who is completely potty, 1 brindle and 1 ginger and white who is HUGE but has a miaow like Joe Pasquale.. All related, apart from the 2 old ladies, who are 14. Cat-pecked black dog, named Cilla,, brings up the rear. Your Bear is lovely. Reminds of my Mum's cat Jimmy, who had to live with us for a couple of years until she found somewhere to live that would take mogs. Makes me mad that some sheltered housing places won't allow pets. Very cruel, I think. They are together now and very happy. He's a tux, too. I love mogs. xx

PetMOZ said...

Wonderful looking black cat :) We recently did a post on black cats as well.

17 years and going strong it looks like.

Joanne Ruby said...

Reading under the paw last xmas enticed me to go to woodgreen & adopt Paddy a beautiful but nervous tabby to join the bears looky likey Poppy & Paprika a gorgeous if somewhat grumpy & needy girl We've had drama but love em all to bits Off to lend support to a Cp rehoming today must be strong

Cat Mum said...

Please send all our love to The Bear - so glad he's happier now, glossy and gorgeous. Our own Diva of Noire (Lou-Lou) sends a whisker kiss to her comrade in colour xx

Unknown said...

Hello Joanne. Lovely to think it might have part-inspired you to rescue some mogs. Hope you get chance to check out Talk To The Tail as well!

vinnytoobad said...

black cats are best do you like tuna?

vinnytoobad said...

Black cats are best yeah